27 October 2014

she's back baby

So, undoubtedly some of you may have noticed that it's been a while since I've blogged about all things fashion.  I'm not exactly sure why I stayed away from the keyboard for so long - work, kids, house, other projects.  I guess the reality is, for a time there my heart wasn't quite in it. 

But recently I came upon what can only be described as a call for fashion help. And so, I have no choice but to don my super-fashionista cape and come to the rescue with some sage and stern words of wisdom for those of you ladies about to attend a formal event.  Men were in suits and an array of ties and women frocked up in everything from LBDs to bright graphic prints.  There were even some floor length numbers (yay for old school glamour!).  I had the pleasure of wearing a gorgeous tangerine number by Willow with some leopard skin heels from Oroton.  Also in my freshly manicured hands was a little gold clutch from Colette.

willow side drapae dress - tangerine

oroton dynamite pumps in leopard

colette hayman erica metal hardcase in gold


However, to my horror many of the women attending the evening had opted not for a clutch, or any other sort of evening bag, but were instead carting around a shoulder bag or tote. Gasp! Horror!  Oh the humanity! all rolled into one.  Now, as a self-confessed handbag addict, I acknowledge that even the idea of attending a special event without having purchased a little bag just for the occasion makes me break out in hives.  However, I also know that this response is a tad extreme.  Nontheless, there is absolutely no excuse for rocking up to a formal event, waxed, polished and sprayed, Hollywood tape keeping all your bits firmly in place, special undies ensuring no VPL (thanks Jockey!), and then lugging around a shopper tote - even if it is a Louis Vuitton. 

Accessories are important.  They have the capacity to pull your whole look together, and as in most other situations, attention to detail is essential to success.  And these details don't need to break the bank - although there was a little YSL number carried by one lucky lady at this event that did cause me to turn slightly green with serious designer brand envy.  My little gold friend cost a modest $34.95 and I know boohoo has some from $12.  And while I am certainly a believer that you get what you pay for, clutches, wristlets and the like are generally used for a relatively short period of time, and generally speaking, not on a daily basis, so here's a great opportunity for some up-to-the-minute disposable fashion.

Go for a little bit of relatively cheap fun, or invest in a classic clutch.  It doesn't really matter.  Just make sure that when the time comes you're not carting around something that resembles a nappy bag.

Often, the little things make all the difference.

my pick for an investment clutch -
miu miu matelasse nappa leather clutch 



This post is dedicated to Yome Retman Thanks for all your noodging - I got there eventually!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this interesting Post with us... My pleasure to being here on your blog... I wanna come back here for new post from your site…

    Travel Bags

    ReplyDelete